Indian Public Sector Undertakings (PSU) listed on stock Exchange (NSE/BSE)
Public Sector Undertakings (PSU) are companies owned by Government of India. The shareholding of GOI in these companies is minimum above 51%. There are a total of 348 PSUs in India but not all of them are listed on stock exchange.
One of the major benefits of being a PSU is that they are backed by the sovereign state. Many investors feel secured while investing in them. So here is a list of Indian PSUs listed on BSE and/or NSE. (Data as of January 2021)
- Bank of Baroda Ltd.
- Bank of India Ltd.
- Bank of Maharashtra Ltd.
- Balmer Lawrie & Co. Ltd.
- Bharat Earth Movers Ltd.
- Bharat Dynamics Ltd.
- Bharat Electronics Ltd.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd.
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Canara Bank Ltd.
- Central Bank Ltd.
- Chennai Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Coal India Ltd.
- Cochin Shipyard Ltd.
- Container Corporation of India Ltd.
- Engineers India Ltd.
- Gail India Ltd.
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd.
- General Insurance Corporation of India Ltd.
- Gujarat Mineral Development Corporation Ltd.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.
- Hindustan Cooper Ltd.
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Housing and Urban Development Corporation Ltd.
- Indian Bank Ltd.
- Indian Overseas Bank Ltd.
- India Tourism Development Corporation Ltd.
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Ltd.
- IRCON International Ltd.
- Indian Telephone Industries Ltd.
- Industrial Finance Corporation of India Ltd.
- Indian Railway Finance Corporation Ltd.
- Jammu and Kashmir Bank Ltd.
- Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Ltd.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd.
- Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd.
- Mishra Dhatu Nigam Ltd.
- Metals and Minerals Trading Corporation Ltd.
- Moil Ltd.
- National Aluminium Corporation Ltd.
- NBCC Ltd.
- The New India Assurance Co. Ltd.
- NHPC Ltd.
- NLC India Ltd.
- NMDC Ltd.
- NTPC Ltd.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd.
- Oil India Ltd.
- Power Finance Corporation Ltd.
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
- Punjab National Bank Ltd.
- Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd.
- Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilizers Ltd.
- Rural Electrification Corporation Ltd.
- Rail India Technical and Economic Service Ltd.
- State Bank of India Ltd.
- Shipping Corporation of India Ltd.
- SJVN Ltd.
- Steel Authority of India Ltd.
- UCO Bank Ltd.
- Union Bank of India Ltd.
A company with three years of an annual net profit over Rs. 2,500 crore, net worth Rs. 10,000 Cr and a turnover of Rs. 25,000 Cr is classified as a Maharatna Company. They are the most profitable companies of the Government of India.
Companies which have achieved Maharatna Status are:
1. Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited is a New Delhi, India-based engineering and manufacturing company for the Indian public sector. Founded in 1964, BHEL is India’s largest manufacturer of equipment for power generation.
2. Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL)
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited is an Indian oil and gas company based in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The company operates two of the country’s largest refineries in Kochi and Mumbai.
3. Coal India Limited
Headquartered in Kolkata, West Bengal, India, Coal India Limited is an Indian public sector coal mining and refining company. It is the world’s largest coal-producing corporation and a Maharatna public sector undertaking. The company contributes about 82 percent to India’s overall output of coal.
4. GAIL (India) Limited
GAIL Limited is a natural gas refining and distribution firm in the Indian public sector, with headquarters in New Delhi, India. Under the administrative control of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, it is a state-owned enterprise of the Government of India.
5. Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited is an Indian public sector oil and gas company. With its headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra, it is an affiliate of ONGC. In India, it has a market share of 25 percent among public sector companies, coupled with a large marketing infrastructure.
6. Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
Indian Oil Corporation Limited is a New Delhi-based oil and gas company in the Indian public sector. With a net profit of ~19,106 crore for the 2016-17 financial year, it is the largest commercial oil company in the world.
7. NTPC Limited
NTPC Limited is an Indian Public Sector Undertaking, formerly known as National Thermal Power Corporation Limited, is involved in the electricity generation industry and related operations. It is an association registered under the Companies Act 1956 and is funded by the Government of India.
8. Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC)
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation is an Indian multinational crude oil and gas firm in the public sector. Its registered headquarters are in New Delhi. Under the administrative control of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, it is owned by the Government of India.
9. Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
Power Grid Corporation of India Limited, headquartered in Gurugram, India, is an Indian state-owned company mainly involved in power transmission. On its transmission network, POWERGRID transmits about 50 percent of the total power produced in India.
10. Steel Authority of India Limited
Steel Authority of India Limited, based in New Delhi, India, is an Indian state-owned steel making company. For fiscal year 2018-19, it is a public sector undertaking owned and operated by the Government of India with an annual revenue of INR 66,267 crore. SAIL, founded on 24 January 1974, has 68,742 employees.
Initially, Navratna was the title given to 9 public sector companies listed by the Government of India in 1997 as companies in the public sector with comparative advantages, granting them greater autonomy to compete in the global market and to assist them in their drive to become global giants. A score of 60 (out of 100) based on six criteria including net profit, net worth, total cost of labor, total cost of production, cost of services, PBDIT (Profit Before Depreciation, Interest and Taxes), employed capital, etc.
Companies which have achieved Navratna Status are:
1. Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
With about nine factories and many regional offices in India, Bharat Electronics Limited is an Indian state-owned aerospace and defense corporation. It is owned and mainly produces advanced electronic equipment for the Indian Armed Forces by the Indian Government.
2. Container Corporation of India Limited (CONCOR)
Container Corporation of India Limited, under the Indian Ministry of Railways, is a Public Sector undertaking. Incorporated under the Companies Act in March 1988, CONCOR began operations in November 1989, taking over Indian Railways’ existing network of seven inland container depots.
3. Engineers India Limited (EIL)
Engineers India Limited is an undertaking in the public sector of Navratna under the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas of the Government of India. It was set up in 1965 to provide petroleum refineries and other industrial ventures with engineering and related technical services.
4. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, headquartered in Bangalore, India, is an Indian state-owned aerospace and defense corporation. It is controlled by the Indian Ministry of Defence under its management.
5. Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL)
Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited, is a state-owned telecommunications service provider and wholly owned subsidiary of state owned BSNL headquartered in New Delhi, India. MTNL Services are offered in the metro cities of Mumbai and New Delhi, India, and in the island nation of Mauritius, Africa.
6. National Aluminium Company Limited (NATIONALUM)
National Aluminium Company Limited, abbreviated as NALCO, is a Navratna CPSE having integrated and diversified operations in mining, metal and power under Ministry of Mines, Government of India. The government of India currently holds a 51.5 percent stake in NALCO.
7. NBCC Limited
NBCC (India) Limited (formerly National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited) is a blue-chip undertaking of the Government of India and a publicly listed undertaking of the Central Public Sector. The current areas of operations of the Company are divided into three main divisions, i.e. (i) Project Management Consultancy (PMC), including government property redevelopment, (ii) Engineering, Procurement & Construction (EPC) and (iii) Development of Real Estate.
8. NMDC Limited
NMDC Limited is a mineral supplier for the Indian public sector. It is 69.65 percent owned by the Government of India, under the Ministry of Steel’s administrative control.
9. NLC India Limited
In the fossil fuel mining sector in India and thermal power generation, NLC India Limited is a Government of India company.
10. Oil India Limited (OIL)
Oil India Limited, with its operational headquarters in Duliajan, Assam, India, is the Indian public sector company with the second largest discovery and production of hydrocarbons.
11. Power Finance Corporation Limited (FFCL)
Power Finance Corporation Ltd. is an Indian financial institution. It is the financial backbone of the Indian Power Sector, founded in 1986. The net worth of PFC as of September 30, 2018 is INR 383 billion. As per the Department of Public Enterprises Survey for FY 2017-18, PFC is the 8th largest profit generating CPSE.
13. Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC)
In India’s power market, REC Limited, formerly Rural Electrification Corporation Limited, is a public infrastructure finance company. The business funds and supports rural electrification projects in India as a public sector enterprise.
14. Shipping Corporation of India Limited (SCIL)
With its headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, the Shipping Corporation of India is a Government of India Public Sector Enterprise that operates and manages vessels serving both national and international lines.
Mini-Ratnas – I (Listed and Unlisted)
These companies should have made profits continuously for the last three years or earned a net profit of Rs. 30 crore or more in one of the three years.
- Airports Authority of India
- Antrix Corporation Limited
- Balmer Lawrie & Co. Limited
- Bharat Coking Coal Limited
- Bharat Dynamics Limited
- BEML Limited
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
- Bridge & Roof Company (India) Limited
- Central Warehousing Corporation
- Central Coalfields Limited
- Central Mine Planning & Design Institute Limited
- Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Cochin Shipyard Limited
- Cotton Corporation of India Limited
- EdCIL (India) Limited
- Kamarajar Port Limited
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Limited
- Goa Shipyard Limited
- Hindustan Copper Limited
- HLL Lifecare Limited
- Hindustan Newsprint Limited
- Hindustan Paper Corporation Limited
- Housing & Urban Development Corporation Limited
- HSCC (India) Limited
- India Tourism Development Corporation Limited
- Indian Rare Earths Limited
- Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation Limited
- Indian Railway Finance Corporation Limited
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited
- India Trade Promotion Organization
- IRCON International Limited
- KIOCL Limited
- Mazagaon Dock Shipbuilders Limited
- Mahanadi Coalfields Limited
- MOIL Limited
- Mangalore Refinery & Petrochemical Limited
- Mineral Exploration Corporation Limited
- Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited
- MMTC Limited
- MSTC Limited
- National Fertilizers Limited
- National Projects Construction Corporation Limited
- National Small Industries Corporation Limited
- National Seeds Corporation
- NHPC Limited
- Northern Coalfields Limited
- North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited
- Numaligarh Refinery Limited
- ONGC Videsh Limited
- Pawan Hans Helicopters Limited
- Projects & Development India Limited
- Railtel Corporation of India Limited
- Rail Vikas Nigam Limited
- Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilizers Limited
- RITES Limited
- SJVN Limited
- Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India Limited
- South Eastern Coalfields Limited
- Telecommunications Consultants India Limited
- THDC India Limited
- Western Coalfields Limited
- WAPCOS Limited
Mini-Ratnas – II (Listed and Unlisted)
These companies have made profits for the last three years continuously and have a positive net worth.
- Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India
- Bharat Pumps & Compressors Limited
- Broadcast Engineering Consultants India Limited
- Central Railside Warehouse Company Limited
- Engineering Projects (India) Limited
- FCI Aravali Gypsum & Minerals India Limited
- Ferro Scrap Nigam Limited
- HMT (International) Limited
- Indian Medicines & Pharmaceuticals Corporation Limited
- MECON Limited
- National Film Development Corporation Limited
- Rajasthan Electronics & Instruments Limited
1. Bank of Baroda Ltd.
Bank of Baroda is a global Indian banking and financial services corporation working in the public sector. With 131 million clients, a total company of US$218 billion, and a global presence of 100 overseas offices, it is India’s third largest public sector bank.
2. Bank of India Ltd.
Bank of India, with its headquarters in Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai, is an Indian commercial bank. Established in 1906, after nationalisation in 1969, it has been government-owned.
3. Bank of Maharashtra Ltd.
The Bank of Maharashtra is India’s largest public sector bank. 92.49 percent of the shares are owned by the government of India. With 1,874 branches as of 3 February 2021, the bank had 15 million customers across the country. In the state of Maharashtra, it has the largest network of branches of any public sector bank.
4. Canara Bank Ltd.
Canara Bank is one of the biggest banks operated by the Government of India in the public sector. It has its head office in Bengaluru. It was founded by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai in Mangalore in 1906 and the bank was later nationalized by the government in 1969.
5. Central Bank Ltd.
One of the oldest and largest commercial banks in India is the Central Bank of India, a government-owned bank. It is located in Mumbai, which is the Indian financial capital and the state capital of Maharashtra.
6. Indian Bank Ltd.
Indian Bank, founded in 1907 and headquartered in Chennai, India, is an Indian state-owned financial services company. With 20,924 staff, 6,089 branches with 5,022 ATMs and 1,494 cash deposit machines, it serves over 100 million customers and is one of India’s highest performing public sector banks.
7. India Overseas Bank Ltd.
Indian Overseas Bank is a major public sector bank based in Chennai, India, with about 3,400 domestic branches, about 6 foreign branches and representative office.
8. Jammu and Kashmir Bank Ltd.
Jammu and Kashmir Bank Ltd. is a J&K–based semi-state owned scheduled banking and financial services company incorporated on 1 October 1938 by the King of Jammu and Kashmir, Hari Singh. The bank functions as a universal bank in Jammu and Kashmir while in the rest of India as a specialised bank.
9. State Bank of India Ltd.
State Bank of India is an Indian multinational, public sector banking and financial services statutory body headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
10. UCO Bank Ltd.
Founded in 1943 in Kolkata, UCO Bank, formerly United Commercial Bank, is India’s largest government-owned commercial bank. Its total business was ~ 4.55 lakh crore during FY 2013-14. It is ranked 1860 on the Forbes Global 2000 list, based on 2014 results.
11. Union Bank of India Ltd.
Union Bank of India, with 120+ million clients and a total company of US$106 billion, is one of India’s largest government-owned banks.